3G, 4G, MEC Cellular Networks
The evolution of 2.5 G and 3G mobile networks with the addition of broadband services to smart phones required tighter integration of IP networking into the backhaul link. Now carrying over 70% of total mobile traffic, fourth cellular generation 4G/LTE network deployments have brought huge increases in bandwidth and broadband speeds for subscribers.
For mobile network operators (MNOs) to gain the business advantages of satellite backhaul in 3G/4G networks, the satellite solution needs to:
- Deliver much higher bit rates, to support data traffic
- Optimize space segment usage – a key recurring cost
- Maximize data link efficiency and minimize overhead in backhaul links
- Integrate new IP-rich networking capabilities
- Integrate easily into complex mobile networks, with multiple standards.
- Add more optimization of Iub and GTP “GPRS Tunneling encrypted protocol” over the S1 interface between the RAN EPC and the eNodeB —to support 4G